Sunday, October 13, 2024

Interview with Harley Olivia

Harley Olivia has gone from flight attendant to vocalist with both the metal band Anthems In Ashes and circus punk band Mineta, to now releasing her debut solo EP Hiding Little Pieces. I recently interviewed her and we covered all that as well as her theater and opera background, her Youtube covers, her work as a voice teacher and much more.    


I read that you were a flight attendant before you focused on singing.  What motivated you to take that step and make that career change?

I worked as a flight attendant for about 10 years. In the beginning, it was really exciting and I enjoyed traveling a lot! However, I knew it wasn't what I was put on this earth to do. Singing and performing have been my greatest passions and over time I realized that if I stayed in my job, my life would pass me by, and I'd never get to see if music would have worked out for me. I was afraid to quit but eventually staying in a job I didn't want to do began affecting my mental health - I got very depressed, and it became clear to me that I had to leave the airline behind and dive into music.

You graduated from Humber College’s Theatre Performance Program and then continued your voice studies as an apprentice to contemporary opera legend and author Fides Krucker.  Do you think that theatre and opera background has helped in your rock career?

Absolutely! The performance coaching I received at Humber was amazing and it helped an anxious person like me feel confident on stage. I also use my theatre training when practicing my songs and have learned to analyze them like I would a script. I decide who I'm talking to, what the story of the song is and perform it that way on stage, so it feels more authentic to me. I also learned a lot of vocal health tips and techniques so I can take care of my voice for years to come.

Your bio refers to you as a neurodivergent, alt-rock artist.  Are you comfortable to further elaborate on that?

Sure! For years, I thought I had depression, but it turns out I had undiagnosed ADHD and anxiety. I've always been a big dreamer with lofty goals but struggled with all the necessary skills to bring those dreams to fruition, so I was in a constant state of frustration which led to depression. I went through a period of time where I couldn't get out of bed because my mood was so low, everything felt impossible, and I didn't know how to verbalize what was going on in my brain. Getting diagnosed with ADHD as an adult was really validating and over time, I got better at managing it. I have a great support system now and I write songs about my annoying, spicy brain instead of succumbing to it. Of course, I still struggle and have down days but writing about my experiences and finding other neurodivergent people has been really healing.

You’ve previously fronted metal and circus punk bands like Anthems In Ashes and Mineta.  What made you decide to go the solo route?

I really loved being a part of those bands but unfortunately during COVID, they dissolved. During the pandemic, I was listening to a lot of catchy indie rock and pop rock music, and I ended up writing a bunch of songs that were more upbeat and catchy. That's when Siegfried and I started collaborating and my EP was born. 

I think what you are doing on the EP allows you to really showcase the power and versatility of your vocals more than those bands.  Was that a motivating factor behind doing a solo release?

Thank you! I actually sang the first dance song at my sister's wedding and it was the most scared I've ever been for a performance. I couldn't hide behind electric guitars or lean on my screaming if something went wrong. I realized I have always gravitated towards performing metal and heavy rock music and even though I love it, it became a crutch. I wanted to push myself vocally and tighten up my technique and not hide behind screams or growls when I was vocally tired. I wanted to see what my voice was capable of.

You worked with JUNO award-winner Siegfried Meier, who has worked with a multitude of bands including Kittie and Face To Face.  Can you tell me a little about working with him?

Siegfried is awesome! He has such a passion for music and is really fun to work with. He built this amazing recording studio called Beach Road Studios and it has incredible views of Lake Huron. We do all our writing and recording there and it feels magical and inspiring. We really understand the vision for the music we write and that allows us to work fast and effectively.

I notice most of your songs have been co-writes with Meier.  How does that process tend to work?  Have you also written in the bands you’ve been in?

Yes, I’ve always written in the bands I’ve been in, but the writing process was a little different than it is now. In previous bands, the instrumentation was usually written first and then I’d write my vocal melodies and lyrics after, but in my solo project, I write my vocal melodies and lyrics first. Once I have a verse, chorus and beginnings of a bridge, I’ll bring it to Siegfried and he will write the guitar and bass parts and then we’ll really fill out the song's instrumentation from there. It's my favourite way to work because I get to see each song grow from a just little melody in my head.

Your lyrics sound like they may draw a lot on real life experience.  How much is real life versus fiction?

They are all based on real life experiences. I may exaggerate, use metaphors or indulge in my feelings at times to make the song more dynamic but they all develop from real feelings which came out of some true event in my life. 

Compared to the heavier sound of Anthems In Ashes and Mineta, which reminds me a lot of the craziness of Mr Bungle, the songs on the EP tend to have more of an alt rock edge, but there is a much stronger pop side as well.  Is that something you were striving for?

Yes! I’ve always loved both heavy music and pop music, respectively.  I have a lot of experience in heavy bands, but I wanted to showcase another side of myself that I've never shared before. The cool thing about being in a solo project is you get to really be your authentic self and show all the dimensions of your personality and music tastes.  In Anthems, I always felt like I had to be heavy and dark, but in reality, I have this funny, mischievous side to me. I'm really enjoying stepping out of my comfort zone and sharing that side of me now.

The EP opens with “You’re Not Ready”, which has a rock edge, but also that pop side.  Then, to me, as you make your way through the EP, each song seems to get a little heavier, and by the time you get to closer “Haunted”, a lot darker.  Was the song order planned that way, or did that just happen?

That was definitely intentional! I wanted to lure people in with a catchy pop rock hook and get heavier and more emotional as the EP builds. I’m stoked you picked up on that!

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I hear touches of an Eighties influence on several cuts.  “You’re Not Ready” has some keys that remind me of The Cars, the opening of “Cherries” brings to mind Alphaville’s “Forever Young” and “Diggin’” also has some moments with that electronic music vibe.  Would you agree with that?

Yes! We love the synth from "Just What I Needed" by The Cars and Siegfried had the awesome idea to use a similar sounding synth in the bridge for “You’re Not Ready”. Sieg grew up in the 80s and I love Lady Gaga so we both gravitate towards that retro 80s synth vibe. We also felt that including that electronic element elevates our rock sound and keeps things a little interesting!

I love the pop punk sound of “Cherries” and how it perfectly encapsulates getting older and reminiscing.  Can you tell me about the inspiration for that song?

Yeah, so Cherry Colas was a bar in Toronto that I spent a lot of time in during my 20s. It was this sexy, underground burlesque bar with red walls and a tiny stage. I played there a lot in my previous bands and saw a lot of my best friends play there too. It was a hub for the rock and metal music community, and I felt at home there. Shout out to Cherish! During the pandemic, it unfortunately closed and I had moved out of the city. One night after the pandemic, I was back in the city and found myself walking by Cherry Colas. I felt super nostalgic for all the memories I'd had there during my "glory days" but I was also proud because I realized my life had changed so much and I had grown up a lot since then. I wasn't drinking and partying every night anymore. I was now dedicated to my music in a way I hadn't been before, and I felt proud. That complicated feeling of nostalgia, loss and empowerment is what started me humming the melody of "Cherries".

“Diggin’” is such a massively infectious song and has a kind of dirty swagger to it that really sets it apart.  Can you tell me a little about that song?

Yeah! 'Diggin'' is definitely a crowd favorite. I wrote it after breaking up with someone who tried to make me out to be the bad guy. At first, I felt sad, guilty, and horrible about the situation. But over time, this ex showed their true colors, becoming vindictive, cruel, and spreading rumors. The song captures the moment I let go of that shame, realizing it wasn’t mine to carry. It's also a warning to that person to back off because I see what they’re doing, and now, I’m standing up for myself.

Can you tell me about the production on “No More Tears” and “Haunted”?  Unlike the rest of the EP, those two songs are moodier, and in the case of “Haunted”, a lot darker.  I would say they are also the most elaborately produced songs on the EP with strings and a lot of layers.  

Yeah, I’d agree with that. The strings in 'No More Tears' always hit me emotionally because they come in at such a pivotal moment. When Siegfried created that string part, it really moved me; they sound like a string quartet you'd hear at a wedding, which added so much emotional weight to a break-up song. Sieg is a genius when it comes to adding those elements that really tug at your heartstrings.

For 'Haunted,' the concept was that my mind is like a horror movie, and my thoughts and anxieties are the ghosts haunting me. We wanted it to feel more cinematic and intense. The ghostly “ahs” I sang at the end of the song that follow the melody of the bridge really heightened the emotion and tied into that haunting theme perfectly.
  

You do a lot of videos of cover songs on your YouTube channel, but you chose Audioslave’s “Like A Stone” to include on the EP.  What was it about that song that made you include that? (Just a note - Kudos to whoever is playing for guitar for nailing one of my favorite little solos)

I absolutely love the lyrics of that song, and Chris Cornell’s melody is so haunting. I felt it fit perfectly on the EP because it’s emotional and introspective but also has that heavier edge. 'Haunted' is my darkest song, and 'Like a Stone' compliments it really well, adding depth and intensity that enhances the overall darker tone of the EP.

Speaking of your covers videos.  Most of them are songs that people would be familiar with, but then you do a cover of Bif Naked’s “I Love Myself Today”, which is great. I’ve always loved her music since hearing her debut all those years ago, but unfortunately, she never got much recognition here in the States.  Can you tell me about deciding to cover that?

I'm Canadian so I love Bif Naked. I grew up watching her music videos on Much Music. I used to sing "I Love Myself Today" in a band when I was about 16 years old so when I was thinking of songs to cover that was one of my first choices. I also thought it would be a fun video idea to perform a Bif Naked song while naked.

You have a video for almost every song on the EP, and most of them have a bit of humor to them.  How involved are you in the concept and production of the videos?

I'm very hands-on when it comes to my music videos. For 'No More Tears,' 'Cherries,' and 'Haunted,' I created the concepts, produced, directed, set dressed, costumed, edited, and starred in the videos myself. For 'Diggin',' I co-created the concept, brought in all the props/set pieces and designed all the looks I wore. I really love making music videos and even went to film school a few years back, so I enjoy adding another layer of depth to the songs through video. It allows me to use a different aspect of my creativity.

Do you have a consistent band or does it change based on their availability?

I always perform with Siegfried Meier as my guitarist on stage. We wrote the songs together so he really gets them and he is a fantastic, energetic guitar player. We have a rotating cast of drummers based on their availability, but we have chosen the best of the best! We play with Nathan Bulla of Intervals and Auras, Melvin Murray of Texas King, Mercedes Lander of Kittie and Kaelin Chase of Full Throttle. They all bring something a little different to the table, but they're all amazingly talented.

Do you have any plans to do any touring down here in the States?

Yes, I would absolutely love to tour the States. It's definitely part of the plan! Right now, I'm playing as many shows as I can and as I build momentum, it's slowly taking me farther and farther away from home base. I'm hoping to make the leap across the border some time next year.

In addition to being a performer you are also a voice teacher.  Can you tell me about that?

Yes, I am really passionate about the voice! I get a lot of satisfaction
 from coaching other vocalists and helping them achieve their goals. I especially love helping artists that want to focus more on their technique in preparation for the studio or a long tour. It's awesome because I'll get these random texts or phone calls at odd hours of the night from my students after they've finished their gigs because they're excited they achieved something. That is the best feeling!

I read an older story about you that said the EP was originally coming out in October, 2022.  What happened that it’s now being released almost two years later?  

Well, this is my debut EP and I learned a lot about the process as I went along. There were some scheduling delays and I didn't want to rush the release. I'd rather take the extra time to make it exactly how I'd envisioned it.

Now that the EP is out in the world, what’s next for you?

The digital release of 'Hiding Little Pieces" is out now, so that's super exciting! The vinyl for the EP will be releasing early November so I will be putting that up for purchase on my store when it's ready! I also won the Rising Sun Award at the Gussapolooza Music Festival this past September, so I'll be back on the main stage next year. Come January, I begin recording my next EP and I just found out that The Ontario Arts Council awarded me a grant for that, so I'm really excited to get back in the studio to record! Other than that, just lots and lots more shows and content!

Is there anything else you would like to share with readers?

I just want to thank everyone who has taken the time to listen to my new EP. As a small, independent Canadian artist, it can be challenging to reach the right listeners who truly connect with my music. I love when new listeners reach out because they often have a personal story or reason why my songs resonate with them, and we end up chatting and becoming friends. Social media can be daunting, but it’s moments like those that make it so rewarding. So, if you're an anxious, neurospicy human like me, love cats and love rocking out at shows - come say hi!

No comments: